The quality of skin care products is vitally important due to one major factor – we apply it to our skin. The reason this is SO important is because, as you may remember from science class back in grade school, our skin is our biggest organ. Comprised of three distinct layers, an average adult carries approximately 3.6 kgs or 2 square meters of it! Our skin has many functions including:
- being our most prominent shield
- being our largest processor of external stimuli
- manufacturing some of the essentials like Vitamin D, and
- keeping our vital organs all nice and zipped up in the places they should be!
Skin Care Products and Ingredients Awareness
In our previous blogs, Key skincare ingredients explored: Hyaluronic Acid – No burn, only benefits, and Skin care Awareness – 3 Nasties to Avoid and 3 Goodies to Go For!, we brought some awesome, good, and nasty skin care products to your attention. A reason for this is your skin is a huge, vital organ integral to overall health and optimal functioning. It is also easily permeable and relatively unprotected, which makes it essential to be aware of the skin care products you are putting onto and into it.
Do Our Skin Care Products Really Absorb into the Skin?
Need a quick insight into the permeability of our skin and the radical effects what we put on it can have on our health and wellbeing? Think of these two things – nicotine and contraceptive patches. Both of these are big bandaid-like devices that are applied directly to the top layer of the skin. Both of these applications radically affect our body’s functioning and behaviour – solely through absorption through the skin. Through these two examples alone, it’s incredibly clear that what we put onto our skin is extremely important. So, what are the skin care products you’re putting on yours?
While we strongly support and recommend immediately substituting every single one of your current artificial beauty and skin care products with natural and organic alternatives, we understand that for some this is a big leap. If it feels like a big leap for you, we recommend the following process:
- Firstly, consider how long a particular skin care product is going to be on your body. Hand wash that’s on your skin for less than a minute is potentially in a lower ‘danger’ category than facial moisturiser that will be on your skin all day.
- Secondly, consider where a particular skin care product is applied. For example, the skin on the soles of your feet is so much thicker than the delicate skin around your eyes. Therefore your feet absorb things more slowly and can handle more exposure to unhealthy substances if they have to, whereas products applied near your eyes are going to absorb a lot faster.
- Finally, consider coverage. Is this a skin care product that comes in contact with most of your skin, or just a very small portion of it? Method of application and removal can also play a part here. For example, applying a chemical hair colourant to the hair on your head and then rinsing it off without the product touching any of your body may actually lead to less chemical absorption than using a cheap and nasty body wash that comes in contact with most of your skin.
What Practical Next Step You Can Take With Your Skin Care Products?
These three considerations can help you get clear on which of your beauty and skin care products need to be quickly replaced with more natural alternatives.
The Huffington Post article ‘Putting It on Your Skin Does Let It in: What’s in Skin Care and How It Affects Your Health’ covers this issue in more depth and may help you to get clearer on your priorities when it comes to choosing more natural beauty and skin care products.
Here at Revive Your Beauty, we’re strong advocates of going as natural as possible, as soon as possible when it comes to your skin care product choices. Our products are Australian made, using certified organic ingredients, are vegan and cruelty free and contain no phthalates or parabens.
Why not try the Revive Your Body Hydrating Cream Moisturiser today – affordable and SHIPPED FREE Anywhere in Australia – and make that all important first step in supporting your skin to show the world a more rejuvenated, youthful, healthy version of you!